Some interesting matchups for this Wednesday of New Year’s week, including several with Top 25 teams in action.
No. 19 West Virginia starts the day at noon by traveling to Virginia Tech for an ESPNU game. The Mountaineers are 10-1 but this will be the first true road game of the season for Bob Huggins’ team.
No. 4 Maryland opens Big 10 play against Penn State in College Park at 5 p.m. on ESPN2. The Terps are 11-1 with their only loss coming at North Carolina in the Big 10/ACC Challenge. Penn State is 9-4.
No. 5 Virginia plays host to dangerous Oakland at 6 p.m. on ESPNU. Remember, Oakland took Michigan State to overtime before losing in Detroit last week. Michigan State took its first loss on Tuesday night. Virginia is 10-1 but needed overtime to edge visiting California last week.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
No. 7 North Carolina opens ACC play with a 7 p.m. ESPN2 game against visiting Clemson, which is 7-5 on the year. North Carolina is 11-2.
Here is the list of televised college basketball games for Wednesday:
Wednesday, Dec. 30
▪ 12:00 - West Virginia at Virginia Tech (ESPNU)
▪ 1:00 - Indiana at Rutgers (ESPN2)
▪ 2:00 - Houston at South Florida (ESPNU)
▪ 3:00 - Michigan at Illinois (ESPN2)
▪ 4:00 - Northwestern at Nebraska (ESPNU)
▪ 4:00 - Long Beach State at Duke (Fox Sports South)
▪ 5:00 - Penn State at Maryland (ESPN2)
▪ 6:00 - Oakland at Virginia (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Minnesota at Ohio State (Big 10)
▪ 7:00 - Clemson at North Carolina (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Seton Hall at Marquette (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 8:00 - Arkansas at Dayton (CBS Sports)
▪ 9:00 - Western Michigan at Vanderbilt (SEC)
▪ 9:00 - Syracuse at Pittsburgh (ESPN2)
▪ 9:00 - Georgetown at DePaul (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 10:00 - Wyoming at San Diego State (CBS Sports)
▪ 11:00 - Fresno State at UNLV (ESPNU)
How Top 25 fared Tuesday
- No. 1 Michigan State lost 83-70 to Iowa
- No. 2 Kansas beat UC-Irvine 73-58
- No. 13 Miami beat Princeton 76-64
- No. 14 Purdue beat Wisconsin 61-55
- No. 17 SMU beat Tulsa 81-69
- No. 20 Texas A&M beat Cal-Poly 82-63
- No. 22 Cincinnati lost to Temple 77-70
- No. 23 Baylor beat Texas Southern 72-59