After holding Pittsburgh to 41 points last week, Louisville is back in action Wednesday night as the Cardinals welcome Florida State to the KFC Yum Center for a 9 p.m. game on ESPNU.
The Cards are currently 3-1 in the ACC, which North Carolina leads with a 5-0 mark. Surprising Virginia Tech, coached by Buzz Williams, is second at 4-1. Florida State is near the bottom of the league standings at 2-3.
Louisville gave up just 17 first-half points and held Pittsburgh to 28.6 percent shooting for the game in beating the Panthers 59-41. Rick Pitino got a strong game from center Chinanu Onuaku, who scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Louisville is currently No. 2 behind West Virginia in Ken Pomeroy’s defensive efficiency rankings.
Florida State is coming off back-to-back wins over North Carolina State (85-78) and Virginia (69-62). Freshman Dwayne Bacon scored 18 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the win over Virginia.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
In other ACC action, No. 2 North Carolina plays host to Wake Forest at 7 p.m. on ESPN2. With No. 1 Oklahoma falling at Iowa State on Monday night, the Tar Heels have a chance to reclaim the top spot in the rankings. Wake Forest is 1-4 in the conference. Its lone win came at home against North Carolina State 77-74. Danny Manning’s team has lost two straight, including an 83-55 blowout loss to Syracuse last time out.
No. 4 Villanova travels to Seton Hall for a 9 p.m. game on the CBS Sports Network. Seton Hall upset Providence 81-72 last time out. The Pirates are 3-2 in the Big East. Villanova is a perfect 6-0.
At 9 p.m. on SEC Network, Vanderbilt travels to Tennessee. The Commodores come to Lexington -- weather willing -- on Saturday for a 4 p.m. game with Kentucky.
Here is the full list of college basketball games on television for Wednesday:
Wednesday, Jan. 20
▪ 6:15 - UCF at South Florida (ESPN News)
▪ 6:30 - Nebraska at Michigan State (Big 10)
▪ 7:00 - Temple at LaSalle (CBS Sports)
▪ 7:00 - Georgia at Missouri (SEC)
▪ 7:00 - Texas at West Virginia (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Wake Forest at North Carolina (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Virginia Tech at Notre Dame (Fox Sports South)
▪ 8:00 - DePaul at Marquette (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 8:15 - Kansas State at Baylor (ESPN News)
▪ 8:30 - Minnesota at Michigan (Big 10)
▪ 9:00 - Vanderbilt at Tennessee (SEC)
▪ 9:00 - Florida State at Louisville (ESPNU)
▪ 9:00 - Villanova at Seton Hall (CBS Sports)
▪ 9:00 - Miami at Boston College (Fox Sports South)
▪ 11:00 - UCLA at Oregon State (ESPNU)
How Top 25 fared Tuesday
- No. 3 Kansas lost to Oklahoma State 86-67
- No. 5 Xavier lost to Georgetown 81-72
- No. 7 Maryland beat Northwestern 62-56 in OT
- No. 8 SMU beat Houston 77-73
- No. 10 Texas A&M beat LSU 71-57
- No. 13 Virginia beat Clemson 69-62
- No. 18 Providence beat No. 16 Butler 71-68
- No. 24 South Carolina beat Ole Miss 77-74 in OT
- No. 25 Indiana beat Illinois 103-69
Top 10 teams by points per game
- 1. The Citadel 89.7
- 2. North Carolina 86.4
- 3. Omaha 85.9
- 4. Indiana 85.9
- 5. North Florida 85.8
- 6. Oklahoma 85.7
- 7. Duke 85.6
- 8. Oakland 85.0
- 9. Iowa State 85.0
- 10. Kansas 84.8