The college basketball world was in agreement way back in November when Indiana lost at Duke 94-74 in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. The Hoosiers couldn’t guard anybody. The Hoosiers didn’t have a future. The Hoosiers’ coach, Tom Crean, was surely on the hot seat.
Indiana hasn’t lost since. Crean’s club has won 12 straight, including its first seven Big 10 games. Their last two outings, the Hoosiers destroyed Illinois (103-69) and Northwestern (89-57) in Bloomington.
Tuesday night, however, Indiana takes to the road for a 7 p.m. Big 10 battle with Wisconsin in Madison on ESPN. IU barely beat the Badgers in Bloomington, winning 59-58 on Jan. 5. Under new coach Greg Gard, who replaced the retiring Bo Ryan early in the year, Wisconsin is now 11-9 overall and 3-4 in the Big 10. It is still tough at home, as Michigan State found out last week when dropping a 77-76 decision at the Kohl Center.
Heading into Tuesday, Indiana and Iowa are tied atop the Big 10. Maryland is next with a 6-2 mark, followed by Michigan at 5-2 and Purdue and Ohio State at 5-3. Michigan State is tied with Nebraska at 4-4.
At 8:30 p.m. on Fox Sports 1, No. 7 Xavier travels to No. 10 Providence in a Big East matchup between Top 10 teams. Providence just gave Villanova the Wildcats’ first conference loss of the year, beating Jay Wright’s club 82-76 in Philadelphia.
The Friars and Xavier are tied for second in the league race at 5-2. Xavier had won four straight before losing 81-72 to Georgetown. The Musketeers rebounded to beat Seton Hall 84-76 on Saturday.
There are four SEC games on the tube Tuesday night. The best game is probably Florida at Vanderbilt. Mike White has his team playing well as the Gators ripped Auburn 95-63 on Saturday for their third straight win. Vanderbilt was stung 76-57 at Kentucky on Saturday and could use a win over a quality opponent. Florida-Vandy is a 9 p.m. game on ESPNU.
At 9 p.m. on ESPN, Georgia travels to LSU. The Bulldogs are 11-6 overall and 4-3 in the SEC after a 76-73 win over Arkansas on Saturday. LSU picked up a tough road win over Alabama 72-70 on Saturday. Ben Simmons had 23 points, nine rebounds and five assists in the win. Simmons is averaging 20.3 points per game in LSU’s seven conference games.
Here is the full list of college basketball games on television for Tuesday:
Tuesday, Jan. 26
▪ 6:30 - Creighton at Georgetown (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 7:00 - Mississippi State at South Carolina (SEC)
▪ 7:00 - Kansas State at West Virginia (ESPN News)
▪ 7:00 - Texas Tech at Oklahoma (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Memphis at UCF (CBS Sports)
▪ 7:00 - Indiana at Wisconsin (ESPN)
▪ 7:00 - Florida State at Boston College (ESPNU)
▪ 8:30 - Xavier at Providence (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 9:00 - Florida at Vanderbilt (ESPNU)
▪ 9:00 - Tennessee at Alabama (SEC)
▪ 9:00 - SE Louisiana at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (CBS Sports)
▪ 11:00 - San Diego State at Nevada (ESPNU)
How Top 25 fared Monday
- No. 4 Kansas lost to No. 14 Iowa State 85-72
- No. 15 Miami beat No. 24 Duke 80-69