Just when you think Adam Duvall might be cooling off, the surprise of the Cincinnati Reds’ summer rebuild came through with another longball on Monday night.
Duvall hit his 18th homer of the season during the Reds’ 9-8 win over the Atlanta Braves at Turner Field. His two-run shot off Atlanta starter Aaron Blair helped stake Cincinnati to a 3-0 lead before the Braves came to bat. Later in the game, Duvall drove in a run with a sacrifice fly.
I wrote on Duvall 10 days ago and after hitting 11 homers in May, Duvall has now hit five home runs in 50 June at-bats. The former Louisville Butler and U of L star has hit 11 homers in his last 21 games.
On the season, the 27-year-old is hitting .258/.589/.875 with 44 RBI to go with those 18 home runs.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
He is tied for fourth in the majors in home runs, behind Baltimore’s Mark Trumbo (20), the White Sox’ Todd Frazier (19) and the Rockies’ Nolan Arenado (19). Seattle’s Robinson Cano also has 18 homers. As for the NL lead, Duvall is one behind Arenado.
Duvall is tied for 11th in the majors in RBI. He’s fifth in the NL behind Arenado (53), Chicago’s Anthony Rizzo (47), Cincinnati’s Jay Bruce (46) and Chicago’s Kris Bryant (45).
He is 20th in the NL and 35th in MLB in OPS.
And he is fourth in all of baseball in slugging percentage (.589) behind Boston’s David Ortiz (.708), Washington’s Daniel Murphy (.603) and Baltimore’s Manny Machado (.600). He is second in the NL behind Murphy.
The Reds, who have won 10 of their last 16 games, take on the Braves again Tuesday night in Atlanta. Brandon Finnegan (2-4, 3.77 ERA) starts for the Reds. Last time out, Finnegan allowed just two earned runs over seven innings in a 3-2 loss to St. Louis on Thursday night.
Reds 2016 home runs
- Adam Duvall 18
- Jay Bruce 14
- Eugenio Suarez 13
- Joey Votto 11
- Zack Cozart 9
- Brandon Phillips 6
- Billy Hamilton 2
- Tucker Barnhart 2
- Ivan De Jesus 1
- Scott Schebler 1
Reds 2016 drafted players who have signed contracts
- 1 Nick Senzel INF R-R 20 6-1 205 6/29/95 University of Tennessee (Knoxville, TN)
- 1A Taylor Trammell OF L-L 18 6-2 200 9/13/97 Mount Paran Christian School (Powder Springs, GA)
- 2 Chris Okey C R-R 21 5-11 195 12/29/94 Clemson University (Mount Dora, FL)
- 3 Nick Hanson RHP R-R 18 6-6 225 6/10/98 Prior Lake Christian High School (Savage, MN)
- 7 Joseph Cox LHP L-L 22 6-1 185 10/23/93 University of Tennessee (Arlington, TN)
- 9 Alex Webb RHP R-R 21 6-3 225 7/19/94 University of British Columbia (Surrey, BC, Canada)
- 10 Lucas Benenati RHP R-R 23 6-3 220 5/27/93 Kansas State University (Santa Barbara, CA)
- 22 Aaron Quillen RHP R-R 22 6-2 205 12/19/93 Belmont University (Kingsport, TN)
- 24 Bruce Yari 1B L-L 21 6-2 200 12/5/94 University of British Columbia (Waterloo,Ontario, Canada)
- 25 Colby Wright INF R-R 21 6-1 200 4/11/94 University of Kansas (Castro Valley, CA)
- 26 Patrick Riehl RHP R-R 22 6-4 235 5/19/94 Mars Hill College (Lucasville, OH)