Environmental remediation work on the former downtown courthouse on Main Street is under way.
Crews have removed some duct, heating and air conditioning units in preparation for a more extensive gutting of Lexington’s fourth courthouse. The interior dome of the courthouse, which had been covered and unseen by the public since an extensive renovation in the 1960s, is now more visible now that some of the mechanical equipment has been removed. The floor that currently obscures the dome will eventually be removed as part of the renovations. The dome, which is to be restored, will be visible from the ground floor.
The building, which was built in 1898, has been shuttered since 2012, when asbestos and lead paint were discovered.
The $30 million renovation of the courthouse is expected to take more than a year to complete. Plans call for the building to be turned into space for restaurants, bars, offices and events. Celebrated restaurateur and chef Ouita Michels has signaled her intent to put a second Windy Corner Market in the space.