The coroner's office has released the name of a man who died after being electrocuted at a Lexington construction site Friday afternoon.
William Everman, 61, was pronounced dead at the construction site at 440 Squires Road at 4:35 p.m., according to Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn.
According to an obituary, Everman had worked in construction since he was 15 years old and was the owner and operator of W.E.E. Construction.
Ginn told WKYT that Everman had been using the dump truck to move debris into a pit at the site near Squires and Easthills Drive. When he raised the dump truck up, it came in contact with high-voltage power lines and caught fire, the coroner said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Lexington Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Ward said he was electrocuted when he tried to get out of the truck.
WKYT reported that Everman's brother-in-law was shocked while trying to help him, but Ward said no one was taken to the hospital by ambulance.
Firefighters were called to the scene at 4:08 p.m.
A power outage because of the accident left thousands of people without power, and traffic signals in that part of town were out during rush hour, causing gridlock in some places.
WKYT reported that some townhomes were recently torn down at the construction site, and a contractor had been hired to remove the debris.
First responders asked for a representative of Ball Homes to come to the scene.
Ball Homes is in the process of developing the Peninsula, a 90-acre parcel with townhomes, apartments and single-family homes.
Ward said the Occupational Safety and Health Administration had been called to investigate the accident.
Scobee Funeral Home in Winchester is in charge of arrangements. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. Visitation is from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday.