Winchester police charge woman in slayings of daughter, granddaughter

Danel Korrey Stanton, 23, and her daughter, Kaydence Miers, 22 months, were found stabbed to death in a house in Winchester on May 20.
Danel Korrey Stanton, 23, and her daughter, Kaydence Miers, 22 months, were found stabbed to death in a house in Winchester on May 20.

WINCHESTER — Police have charged Lillie Stanton with two counts of murder in the stabbing deaths of her daughter and granddaughter.

Winchester police Capt. James Hall said Tuesday that Stanton is accused of killing Danel Korrey Stanton, 23, and her 22-month-old daughter, Kaydence Ray Miers, who were found stabbed to death late Sunday at a home on Vaught Road where all three lived.

Lillie Stanton, 48, also suffered stab wounds and was being treated at University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital.

Hall declined to provide a motive. He said police were continuing their investigation.

During a news conference Tuesday morning, Hall said police charged Stanton about 3 p.m. Monday at the UK Hospital, after she admitted the killings to officers. Stanton also admitted trying to harm herself afterward, he said.

Police did not release news of the arrest Monday because they still were talking to witnesses and following up on leads, Hall said. Officers were not able to question Lillie Stanton until Monday afternoon because of her injuries, he said.

Stanton has been released from intensive care at UK but remains under police guard there, Hall said. She has been under guard since being flown to the hospital by helicopter ambulance Sunday afternoon, he said.

"She is under our custody; we have officers with her," Hall said. "If she decides to leave, she will be coming with our officers to Clark County Detention."

Lillie Stanton will be moved to the Clark County jail when she has sufficiently recovered from her self-inflicted wounds. She sustained wounds to her neck and wrists, and remains in serious condition, police said Tuesday.

Hall said Stanton has told officers what her intent was in the killings, but he declined to reveal what she said or give any hint as to her motives. He also declined to comment on reporters' questions about whether Stanton acted in a spontaneous burst of emotion or there were other factors that might have influenced her actions.

Police cannot elaborate "at this time," he said.

Police say they have uncovered no record of any previous domestic violence or disputes between the individuals involved.

Danel Korrey Stanton was involved in an ongoing custody case with Jonathon Miers, the father of her child, and a court hearing was to be held Wednesday. Hall declined to say whether that case figured into the stabbings.

"I can't comment on that at this time," he said. "We are still waiting on court records."

Clark County Coroner Robert Gayheart said results from an autopsy Monday showed that Kaydence Miers died of cutting injuries to her neck. The exact cause of Danel Korrey Stanton's death is pending investigation, he said.

Authorities have not pinpointed the time when the stabbings occurred, Gayheart said. Police were called to the Stanton home at 233 Vaught Road about 5:30 p.m. Sunday.

Hall said police think some time elapsed between the stabbings of the two victims and the stab wounds Lillie Stanton inflicted on herself.

Lillie Stanton's former husband, Robert Stanton, called police after arriving home Sunday afternoon to find that the stabbings had occurred, Hall said. Lillie Stanton was able to tell him what had happened, Hall said.

He ruled out initial reports that police had received a 911 call Sunday afternoon about a woman running into her front yard screaming that she had killed her daughter and granddaughter and had then stabbed herself.

Hall said police recovered several bloody knives from the Stanton home. They will be sent to the Kentucky State Police for laboratory analysis to determine which might have been used on which victim, he said.

Hall said police continued to interview people Monday night and were conducting some interviews Tuesday morning. But authorities are not looking at any other suspects.

"Not at this point," Hall said, "But the investigation is still ongoing.

"We are getting new information every day, people that have known the victims, or known the perpetrator," he said. "We will conduct interviews as long as we need to to get as much background information as we can."

Kaydence Miers' funeral will be held in Oklahoma, but a date is not yet available, according to Scobee Funeral Home in Winchester, which is handling arrangements locally.

Visitation for both Kaydence and Danel Korrey Stanton will be held at the funeral home from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Private funeral services and burial are planned for Stanton, who was a certified nursing assistant, the funeral home said.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader